During the 2015 NYC Open, a group of players from across North America sat and talked about our different groups from all over the region. There were enough of us to realize that we should be working together to help each other out. From that discussion came an idea about bringing us together and the idea of an organization came into being.
That organization would eventually become the North American Riichi Mahjong Association, or NARMA for short.
To foster cooperation, share valuable resources, and to establish visibility and legitimacy for the North American Riichi Mahjong community.
- To foster cooperation in an individual and club level within North America.
- To provide, exchange, and collaborate in the distribution and production of resources that are valuable to our community.
- To increase visibility and establish legitimacy for the North American Riichi Mahjong community by increasing our influence and improving our reputation.
We will look to achieve our mission statement by adhering to our core values of accessibility, transparency and the respect for autonomy.
- Encourage club tournament standardization
- Host accessible tournaments
- Establish a comprehensive repository of relevant knowledge and tools.
- Foster relationships with international communities and groups.